We haven’t provided much information lately about our two most popular blogging topics: the garden project and the well project. We’ve been intentionally trying to diversify the topics a little. But since there has been exciting progress in both of these projects, I guess it’s time for an update.
The Garden Project
I (Nathan) and the kids have been enjoying the garden project. We’ve had a good wet spring since the beginning of April. We have lots of garlic and red onions growing, plus some carrots, potatoes, green beans, peas and lettuce. Richelle and I have been enjoying a few green beans and some lettuce already (by buying them off the kids who grew them). We hope that the kids can be harvesting their first round of garlic and red onions in about a month, then turn around and get a second planting in so they can harvest again in October or so.
We’ve learned a few things along the way. For you gardening experts out there, these may be obvious lessons, but they’ve been new to us:
Number one: garlic likes a good chilling. A gardener can spur-on the growth of garlic if the bulbs are chilled for a while before “cracking” and planting. This is why in North America, most people plant garlic in the fall. The winter cold, followed by the warming soil of the spring, helps initiate growth within the clove, so that long before the ground is warm enough to work and plant other vegetables, the gardener can already see garlic shoots above the ground. We don’t have a cold winter season here in Ethiopia… but we do have mountaintop villages where the nighttime temperatures dip consistently down into the 40’s. That’s why the locals in the market all suggested, if we’re purchasing for planting, that we seek out the ladies selling garlic from the top of Mt. Damota (the mountain just north of Soddo, which rises to about 10,000 ft). Unintentionally, we did a little experiment. We bought our first round of garlic from the ladies from Damota. The ladies even opened up some cloves to show us how the shoot was already beginning to develop within the clove. Once planted, we had shoots above the ground within a week. When we ran out of the first round of garlic and the kids still wanted to plant more, we went to the market again but couldn’t find any ladies from Damota, so we just purchased some random garlic. It took over a month for the second round to show shoots above the ground. We had almost given up, but just recently, shoots are popping up.
Number two: when you use compost on your gardens, you get the added excitement of seeing what random things grow from the compost. We have maize, tomato and potato plants growing in the most random of places… places where they were never planted.
Number three: buying small red onions from the local open market and using them as onion sets can result in some ugly onion “clumps.” Without access to prepared onion sets, we just selected out small onions (1” diameter or less) in the market and planted them as sets. It seems, though, that some of these “sets” that we planted were either already “split” (harvested from an onion plant that had already bolted) or for some reason, once planted, they split immediately. Instead of nice single-bulb onions, we have these weird clumps of 2-4 onions growing from the same “set.” We’re going to experiment with a couple of clumps, try digging them up, separating them and re-planting. We may also try letting some go to seed and try planting some from seed next time around.
Finally, number four: given the incredibly powerful rainstorms that sometimes hit Ethiopia when rain does come, we have learned that terracing a side-hill is not enough to prevent erosion. We have spent many hours digging ditches to control rain run-off.
The Well Project
We are still moving forward with our deep borehole well project. We have already begun the process of installing 3-phase electric power to our compound (needed to run the submersible pump that we’ll eventually have). We hired some workers the other day to level out a path next to our football field so that an electrical utility truck can get in to install the transformer. We hope to begin installation of the high voltage line and transformer within the next couple of weeks. We have chosen to work with Water is Life as our partner for the drilling and casing stage. Water is Life is a U.S. registered non-profit that operates out of Hawassa, Ethiopia and works on well and water projects throughout southern Ethiopia (check them out at www.waterislifeinternational.com). We are planning on drilling in Oct. after the ground dries out a little from rainy season.
After drilling and casing, we’ll be purchasing a submersible pump, installing the pump and setting up the water system from the well to our current system. We hope to have the whole thing up and running by the end of 2012. Of course, Aerie Africa has also been working on fundraising for this project. Because of the depth that we must drill to hit quality, consistent, year-round water, the whole project will likely cost between $70 and $80 thousand. We’ve already raised over half that amount (if you’re interested in contributing, please feel free to email us or go to www.aerieafrica.org).
As always, we’re very interested in feedback (and gardening advice or contributions to the well project). Please feel free to reply to this post, email us or post to our facebook page at www.facebook.com/hainesgotoethiopia.