A blog post from a couple of weeks ago (https://threepotsofbuna.wordpress.com/2012/01/14/the-ccc-garden-project/) introduced the “Garden Project” that we are working on here at the Children’s home. Some have expressed interested in knowing more and learning about how they might support the project. Thus, here’s an update with some more information.
Below is a cost breakdown of what will be needed to make the project fully happen. At this point, the project has simply involved labor to prepare all the garden terraces. We did set up one irrigation system as a test case. We were able to set that one up primarily with spare materials (pipe, etc.) around the compound. Going forward, however, we’ll need to purchase some materials. The below cost breakdown is bare minimum. With additional funds we could buy more water barrels for rain collection, more pipe for more ditches, more garden tools for the kids and more seed. So really this project needs between $600 and $1000 USD.
Garden Project Costs
|120 meters of plastic pipe for irrigation ditches (180 / 12 meters pipe)||1800||104|
|5 large (80 liter) water barrels (160 ETB each)||800||46|
|300 meters of 1 inch plastic irrigation tubing||6000||348|
|clamps, spouts, and fittings to set up pipe and tubing||200||12|
|new garden tools (100 ETB / shovel, 30 ETB / hand-hoe)||500||29|
Below is an outline of our schedule to launch this project by March (which is when we expect to start getting a little rain, which, together with our irrigation system, should be enough water to start and sustain the gardens.
- Jan. 16 – 27 – finish digging and leveling terraces (4 down, 2-3 more to go)
- Jan. 19 – 23 – price needed supplies and blog an update with price breakdown
- Jan. 30 – Feb. 3 – dig out remaining irrigation ditches
- Feb. 3 – hold first meeting with kids to prepare them for planting
- Feb. 6 – 8 – set up irrigation pipes and barrels
- Feb. 9 – 13 – make trip to Addis; purchase irrigation tubing
- Feb. 14 – 17 – spread compost and till up gardens
- Feb. 17 – meeting with kids
- Feb. 20 – 24 – perforate and set up irrigation tubing
- Feb. 24 – meeting with kids
- Feb. 27 – Mar. 2 – purchase seed and set up some extra rain collection barrels
- Mar. 2 – meeting with kids
- March – plant after a couple of good rains
Below are a few updated pictures of our progress.